LEPC Executive Meeting Minutes
ECDOPS Public Safety Center
2880 Flower Road
October 14, 2016
Attendance: Jim Petrone, Brian Mesaros, Joe Walko, Bob Gandley, Scott Newell, Rich Stebell, Charles Ramsey, Bill First, John Kelly, Dale Robinson, John Grappy and Keerinique Valencic.
- General Report – Dale Robinson
- Title 35 Rewrite – no movement.
- Starting rewrite of the County Emergency Operations Plan – ours currently mirrors the ICS and we are doing away with that. Attempting to make us a MAC (which coordinates with communication centers and other EOC’s).
- Continuing to work on our Planning Room – which will primarily be centered around the Situation Unit. Just put a map of the county up, currently working on getting magnets of police cars, engines, rescues, tankers, snow plows, school buses etc.
- General Report – John Kelly
- IPAWS (Integrated Public Alert Warning System) - We are now preliminarily enrolled. This system integrates all of the alert warning systems into one.
- Application has been put in for Storm Ready. We have been formally accepted but have to be reviewed.
- We are now a Weather Ambassador through Weather Ready Nation.
- Financial Report – Brian Mesaros
- Budget and Expenses – Anticipating putting $10,000 - $14,000 back info fund balance.
- Grants – in the process of closing out last year’s HMRF and HMEP grants.
i. PEMA is in the process of changing formula for HMRF grant. There is nothing in stone yet but every formula used so far has cut our funding in half.
ii. Once formula has been made, it will be brought to this committee for review.
- HazMat Billing Procedure – it has been developed. We are waiting for budget to be approved prior to taking it to County Council.
- Hazard Mitigation Plan - meeting scheduled on October 27th, 2016 with the municipalities. There will be two different meeting times, 10:00AM and 6:00PM.
i. Hoping to have an approved plan from FEMA by the end of next year. This plan will be good for five years.
- HazMat Team Report – Brian Mesaros
- Made some changes to the vehicles; rearranged 808 and added some calibration capabilities.
- Novemeber 1st – 4th Hazardous Materials Preparedness conference in Pittsburgh.
- Responses – Hydrochloric acid spill two weeks ago at Rog’s Storage on 18th and German. A well drilling company headquartered here was doing a transfer and a valve broke. They had about 300 gallons of hydrochloric acid spill on the floor. Currently working on response invoice form and also a letter requesting if they meet any requirements they may want to report what they have on site.
- Rail Safety Plan – Gannon intern has been driving half mile corridor starting in Springfield and working to Pittsburgh Ave to make sure we didn’t miss anything. In the spring, 3 or 4 individuals from Gannon will start to do the city.
i. Managed to secure a grant from the DEP for about $38,000. This grant will pay for 5 Spill Response Trailers and the stocking of all 5 plus the additional trailer at Millcreek. This project will be completed by March 31st, 2017.
Public Safety Report:
- General Report - John Grappy
- 2017 Budget – just over $8 M with an increase of $915,000 due to debt service.
i. Will be presenting to County Council on November 2nd, 2016 @ 4:00PM.
- New pay plan for Telecommunicator staff – studies show that they are underpaid by over $2.00/hour.
i. Proposed to have 4 classifications instead of 1; Trainee, Call Taker, EMS/Fire Dispatcher and Law Dispatcher. They would start at $13.18/hour and each step up to a new classification would be a 6% increase.
ii. Turnover rate is currently over the national average. It cost around $13,000 to train a new hire.
- Act 12-2015 – Development of permanent formula; review of regional projects for approval through 15% Regional Interconnectivity Funding.
- Next Gen Radio Project – Contract awarded to E.F. Johnson, kickoff meeting was held on September 29th, 2016.
i. Moving forward with critical design review. We will send out notices once we know the quantity of units the county will provide.
ii. Plan on making first order by end of October. Discounted price for units is extended until 2019.
iii. Early deployment of Zetron equipment has been ordered with implementation in March 2017.
iv. Currently in the final review of land property agreement for the 8 new tower sites that need constructed.
v. E.F. Johnson and MCM feel strongly about implementation in January 2018 through March 2018.
New Buisness: None.
Old Buisness: Russel Standard started reporting Tier 2.
Good of the Order: Nothing
Meeting adjourned: 9:35AM
Next Meeting: General Meeting, November 4th, 2016 at 8:00AM at the Erie County Department of Public Safety Building.