Public Safety Advisory Committee’s
Executive Committee, September 9, 2015
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s Executive Committee met on September 9, 2015, in the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm. by the Advisory Committee’s Chairperson Jim Rosenbaum.
Members In Attendance: Jim Carstater, Tony Pol, Richard Stebell, Jim Rosenbaum, Abdul Osman, Bill Heald, Brian Mesaros, Dale Robinson, Randy Bowers, Cathy Hornick, John R. Grappy, Jeff Hawryliw, Nicole Fuller
Opening Comments: Call to order – 1 PM.
Mike McGrady from MCM Consulting Group, consultants for the Next Generation Radio Project, updated everyone on the current status of the Radio Project. On September 9th there were operational requirement meetings with Police, Fire and EMS. We are currently working on channels and talk groups (dispatch, operations, tactical channels, etc.) which are operational requirements so that we can go out for bid. MCM has also been working on FCC Licensing, reaching out and asking to use frequencies and also working with the State on getting additional frequencies. We have received GIS Database to reference tax free parcels for building additional tower sites. Working with State on collocating on the State tower. We will build up to 11 towers on tax free property. Letters are going out soon regarding tower locations.
No Agenda – Review of Progress of Subcommittees.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting were approved with no corrections. Motion to except minutes by Jim Carstater and seconded by Randy Bowers.
Director of Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director of Public Safety – John R. Grappy
- Next Radio Update Meeting 2pm and 6pm September 9th. Suggests Advisory Committee attend one of the meetings.
- Public Safety Open House – Saturday, September 26, 2015 from 10am until 1pm at the Department of Public Safety. An invitation was sent out to the Public Safety Community regarding bringing apparatuses. After Open House the Bar Association Wills for Heroes will be here, Go online to register free of charge. 12pm until 5pm at the Public Safety Building.
- 9/11 Memorial Service at the Blasco Library. Starts at noon.
- ECDOPS Website – New updated website going live October 1, 2015.
Law and Legislative Affairs Committee - Jim Carstater, Committee Chair.
- The general assembly remains on recess. Senate reconvenes on 9/16. The House doesn’t reconvene until 9/21.
- House budget remains unresolved. Republicans attempted to override governor’s veto budgets items, general assembly passed budget, administration agreed, but democrats refused, stalemate continues.
- Title 35 rewrite – Looks like the process is starting over. The House VA&EP committee held hearing on Title 35 on 9/3. Don Kunkle of PFESI is working with committee staff regarding the issue and requested comments. Jim and Dale forwarded comments prior to hearing on 9/3.
- Oil Train Safety Report: Gov. Wolf released report 8/17, Jim circulated, PFESI published next day. Report contains 27 recommendations, so of Fed Dept of Transportation regulations, and there it is questionable whether the railroads can be compelled to comply.
- Washington Post Article – Don Kunkle circulated to members of the FASP Law & Legislation Committee and PFESI SWAB. SWAB members submitted comments. Please read and think about implications.
- Government Dinner – Friday 2/12 at the Erie Maennerchor. Bill Jenaway, VP of VFIS and the administrator of the PA SAFER grant on recruitment and retention. Jim will speak to him to see if he will meet with the LEPC prior to the dinner.
Law Enforcement and Records Committee – Mike Tesore, Committee Chair
- Meeting with 3 separate vendors to review options for the new Law Dispatch Protocol System for Dispatching in the 911 call center.
Fire Services Committee – Chief Tony Pol, Committee Chair
- Expanded committee to receive more representation from the County. Concentrating on training and level of training and working on getting a core of basics that everyone agrees on.
Emergency Medical Services Committee – Bill Hagerty, Committee Chair
- Plan was submitted to the State and the State sent back with recommended modifications (nothing major). Regional meetings will then be scheduled to go over the plan to address concerns or answer questions. Departments can opt-in or opt-out. If they opt-out then they have to provide 24/7 coverage on their own.
Emergency Management Services Committee – Bill Heald, Committee Chair
- Working on getting meeting scheduled within 2 weeks. Representatives from West County, Millcreek, Erie, North East, South East, Summit and 2 Hazmat members. Emphasizing on rail safety and a technical rescue team.
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick and Sue Sutto, Committee Co-Chairs
- 9-1-1 had a display at the National Night Out at Gridley Park, 1,000 to 1,200 people attended.
- 9-1-1 also attended the Gannon Student Safety Day (Waldron Center) on September 22, 2015 from 10am-1pm. Will have table with flyers.
- The committee would like to put information on the website about volunteering. Looking to attend town hall meetings but it looks like these meetings don’t happen as much anymore.
Communications Committee – Jeff Hawryliw, Committee Chair
- Some members have backed out. Jeff has been in contact with everyone via email with no meetings scheduled as of yet. This group is a work in progress over the next few years. Still reaching out for volunteers.
Old Business: Bid on Recruitment and Retention – If Bill Jenaway is available Jim will schedule a meeting for an afternoon session.
New Business: Cathy asked if there are any websites that might highlight volunteering for Fire or EMS? National Volunteer Fire Fighters Council (NVFC.org), Pennsylvania Fire and Emergency Services Institute in Harrisburg. VFIS Website is working on sending out information through public media and generic ads. These might be good to link to county website.
Adjournment: Motion to adjourn made by Rich Stebell. All in favor, meeting adjourned at 1:56 p.m.