Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, January 9, 2019
The Public Safety’s Advisory Committee met on January 9th, 2019 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Vice Chair, James Carstater.
Member’s in Attendance: John Durlin, Charlie Ramsey, Brian Mesaros, Chuck Kanarr, Jim Carstater, Kathy Fatica, Charlie Heffner, John Grappy, Dale Robinson, Bill Hagerty, Dan Loewenheim, Cathy Hornick, Scott Heidt and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the General Committee meeting held on 11/07/2018 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – John Grappy
- 2019 Budget approved by County Council. Discussion on budget cuts.
- Richard Flynn is no longer the PEMA Director.
- Title 35 discussion.
- Northern Tier Consortium
- 9-1-1 Telephony system will go live on January 17th.
- Some counties within Northern Tier went live with the new CAD in December. Erie County will be last to transition over to that new system. We will be going live when we go live with our new record management system in October.
- Next Generation Radio System
- Subscriber units for EMS and Fire have been completed. Currently working on Law Enforcement.
- Tower Site construction has been completed.
- Transition period is still scheduled for March. However, we will not be transitioning over until everything has been tested thoroughly and everyone is comfortable.
- Regional training scheduled for end of February/early March.
- East County Consolidation
- Erie County started to dispatch for East County on December 18, 2018.
- First Net
- Region is moving forward with AT&T First Net.
- Currently working with Sierra Wireless on some issues they are having with EmergyCare.
- Randy Tripp is retiring and Michael Adams is his replacement. On behalf of this committee, wanted to thank Randy for all of the work he did.
Dale Robinson – EMA Report
- Working on an Emergency Hub program. A hub would be opened within neighborhoods in the community to get information and help they may need.
- Chuck and I will meet on Friday to discuss the EMA sub-committee.
Brian Mesaros – EMA Report
- Will continue with the rail exercises.
- Starting a new Tier 2 season.
Emergency Management Committee – Chuck Kanarr
- West County is doing a tabletop with National Fuel on 01/23/19.
Communications Committee – Charlie Heffner
- All of the out of town crews are back to work.
- The system we currently have is not a system – it is a group of radios.
Emergency Medical Services Committee– Bill Hagerty
- We received a grant from the Hamot Health Foundation to purchase tourniquets.
- They have been back ordered for months now. As soon as we get them they will be distributed out to the agencies.
- Found some money for the EMS subcommittee and will discuss with the committee what they would like to see the money spent on.
- Discussion on EMS services for Elgin Beaverdam.
Law and Legislative Committee – Jim Carstater
- Discussion on education requirements for EMS and how that could be damaging.
Law Enforcement Committee – Chief Scott Heidt
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick
- Going to have active shooter training at Penn State for fraternities and sororities. Will also be looking to conduct training at Mercyhurst.
Good of the Order: Government Dinner will be held on February 8th at the Shrine Club.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 3:27PM.