Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, August 9, 2017
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s General Committee met on August 9, 2017 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:59 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Vice Chair, Jim Carstater.
Member’s in Attendance: Jim Carstater, Bill Hagerty, Kale Asp, Brian Mesaros, Charlie Heffner, Joe Walko, Dale Robinson, John Durlin, John Kelly, Aaron Wassel, Cathy Hornick, Jamie Neumaier and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting held on 07/12/17 were approved with no corrections.
A special election was not held for the secretary position due to not having a quorum.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – Kale Asp
- LEPC Executive Committee meeting to be held here at the Department of Public Safety this Friday, August 11th at 8:00 AM.
- Currently working on our 2018 budget proposal, department requests are due on August 25th.
- The county pay plan was approved by County Council on Tuesday, July 25, 2017.
- This is for the Non-Bargaining and Telecommunication staff, and will be effective January 1, 2018.
- Application for funding of Regional Projects through Act 12-2015 was submitted on July 31, 2017. Grants will be awarded no later than October 31, 2017.
- First Net National Public Safety Broadband Network contract was awarded to AT&T.
- The PA First Net State Plan is currently in the development process, expected to be finalized by September. At which point the Governor will have 90 days to opt-in.
- Next Generation Public Safety Radio System
- The remaining equipment will arrive by the end of September.
- Installation and program training scheduled for the week of October 10th – 13th.
- Deployment and installation will begin the following week.
- Fleet mapping draft is currently in progress.
- Land Property Agreements for tower site construction have been executed for six of the eight construction sites. We are anticipating approval of the last two by September.
- KCI Engineering has completed their surveys and permits for the eight proposed sites. We are currently waiting for results of the RFP’s released for tower steel, construction and equipment shelters.
- County Council approved contract for Nokia (Alcatel-Lucent) Microwave System on July 25th.
- Currently researching and evaluating 4G Commercial Broadband Networks.
- Defining operational policy and procedures for the County EMS Plan is in progress.
- Public Alert Siren System is under review and comment by the EMA subcommittee.
Hazard Mitigation and Rail Safety Plans – Brian Mesaros
- Currently in the final stages. Expecting to have a final draft to send to PEMA and FEMA by the end of this month.
Communications Committee - Charlie Heffner
- Discussion about having literature or a video to show how to use the mobiles. As there is no training in writing at this time.
- Charlie states that E. F. Johnson wants to wait until these agencies physically have the radios.
Emergency Medical Services – Bill Hagerty
- There have been some additions and corrections made to the MCI Plan that were submitted to Caleb Dixon. Mr. Hagerty has not seen these changes yet.
Fire Services Committee – Assistant Chief Joe Walko
Law Enforcement Committee – Deputy Chief Aaron Wassel
Law and Legislative Committee – Jim Carstater
- Title 35 has not moved yet. Dale is reviewing the letter to be sent.
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick
- Still waiting on a list of teachers and schools to move forward with scheduling public education.
New Business: Charlie Heffner has a couple things for the committee to start thinking about:
- Is it possible for the county to set up a source of funding now to replace the radio system after 20 years?
- Is it time to consider a County Technical Water Rescue Team? There are only a couple water rescue teams in the county, and if the Erie Fire Department were needed it would take half of the department out of service.
- There was a discussion that yes it would be beneficial. However, there are issues with funding and liability concerns.
Adjourned: Meeting adjourned at 2:39 PM.