Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, November 7th, 2018
The Public Safety’s Advisory Committee met on November 7th, 2018 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 2:00 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Vice Chair, Jim Carstater.
Member’s in Attendance: John Durlin, Guy Santone, Dan Spizarny, Bill Hagerty, Brian Mesaros, Jim Carstater, Kale Asp, Jamie Neumaier, Dale Robinson, Chuck Kanarr, John Grappy, Scott Heidt, Rich Shopene, Charlie Heffner and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting held on 09/12/18 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – John Grappy
- 2019 Budget was presented to County Council.
- Kickoff of Recruitment and Retention committee meeting was held on Monday, November 5th at 3:30PM.
- Discussion regarding the problems and appointed a Chair (Brandon Kramer) and Vice Chair (Jessica Huron-Kunco).
- Regional CAD project is moving forward.
- Erie County will be the last to join due to the RMS system.
- October 2019 is when we are expected to transition over.
- Law Record Management System kickoff meeting was held on October 16th.
- First Net final negotiations are ongoing.
- Will hold a public meeting where AT&T can present this information.
- Telephony system should be upgraded by the end of the year.
- Consolidation of East Erie County
- Using advanced gateways for East County until the new radio system is up and running.
- Looking to transition East County over in the second or third week of December.
- Next Gen Radio System
- Subscriber units for Fire and EMS have been installed.
- County Executive to give an update on the project on November 14th at 10:00AM.
- EF Johnson and Mobilcom are installing the system infrastructure.
- Nokia installing microwave system at various tower site locations.
- Project completion is planned for the end of March 2019.
EMA Report – Dale Robinson
- Assisted Crawford County with the tornados and flooding; coordination and response went well.
- Created a resource catalog which is a quick guide to all of the resources located in Erie.
- Had our regional logistics staging area exercise at Edinboro University.
EMA Report – Brian Mesaros
- Conducted the table-top rail exercise in North East that was well attended by the Fire Departments.
Communications Committee – Charlie Heffner
EMS Committee – Bill Hagerty
- The MCI Plan training is in process of being completed for all of the licenses EMS agencies.
- Some classes have been scheduled for East and West County.
- Met with city fire department a few weeks ago and will get that set up as well.
- Would be nice to have tourniquets in the fanny packs. Put a request in to the Hamot Health Foundation and they gave us around $1500.00 to purchase them.
Fire Service Committee – Chief Guy Santone
Law Enforcement Committee – Chief Dan Spizarny and Chief Scott Heidt
- Discussion about the shooting that happened in Pittsburgh. Heard there was a lot of bleed over with the channels. Mutual aid discussion as well.
Emergency Management Committee – Chuck Kanarr
Law and Legislative Committee – Jim Carstater
- Final draft of the SR6 has been released. Final vote scheduled for November 28th.
- Recruitment and Retention Committee met on Monday. Provided a lot of information regarding the issues and statistics. Next meeting to be held on December 4th at 3:30PM.
- Would like to eliminate Bylaw 13.2 so that Brandon Kramer can chair that committee.
Good of the Order: Our next meeting is scheduled for the second week in December – would like to cancel due to holidays. The Recruitment and Retention Committee is meeting on December 4th at 3:30PM here if anyone would like to attend.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 2:59 PM.