Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, May 3, 2017
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s General Committee met on May 3, 2017 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 2:03 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Chair, James Rosenbaum.
Member’s in Attendance: Jim Rosenbaum, Scott Heidt, Rich Shopene, Jamie Neumaier, Bill Hagerty, Dale Robinson, Joe Walko, Kale Asp, Charlie Heffner, Matt Exley, Brenda Cannell, John Grappy, John Durlin, Cathy Hornick, Aaron Wassell, Angela Vincent and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting held on 04/12/17 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director of Public Safety – John Grappy
- Next LEPC meeting will be Friday May 12th at 8:00AM
- Erie County FOP Memorial Service will be held on May 17th at Perry Square at 11:00AM.
- Press Conference scheduled on May 8th at Public Safety for the Storm Ready designation and IPAWS.
- Regional Projects Act 12
- Moving forward with implementation and procurement of the regional voice logging recorders, the two additional 9-1-1 workstations and the upgrade for the text to 9-1-1 service.
- Will have bid opening for the regional CAD system on May 10th.
- IT continues to research a commercial broadband network 4G to replace the 800MHz system for MDTs.
- Next Generation Radio System
- Finalized the critical design review on April 28th. Signed off on the remainder of equipment that needs ordered.
- The last shipment of subscriber units will be delivered on May 5th. We will complete the inventory on the equipment and will then begin deployment and installation.
- Land property agreements for the tower sites:
- Corry City, Fairview and Greenfield Township have all been executed.
- We have a tentative agreement with Harborcreek; needs to be executed.
- We anticipate approval for the tentative site in West Springfield.
- Working with Erie Junior Chamber for the tentative site off of Clemens Rd.
- We have awarded the contract to KCI Technologies to conduct the site surveys, engineering and permitting at the tower sites. Kick off meeting was held on Tuesday, May 2nd.
- Just received the final design and pricing from our microwave vendor; currently under review and then will be taken to the Administration and County Council for approval.
Emergency Management - Dale Robinson
- We just had two meetings on the Hazard Mitigation Plan. The contractors asked us to review the hazards that we will have in the plan. We are also asking the municipalities to start developing their projects and to identify their critical infrastructure and key resources.
- Crude Oil (rail safety) Plan should be completed in June 2017.
- Having a PIO and JIC course next week, if anyone is interested, please let us know.
- We are currently working on a cache of special needs equipment.
Communications Committee – Charlie Heffner
- Discussion about talk groups; how many will be needed and to define with the different agencies who exactly they need to talk to at different times. Director Grappy stated that they have defined up to 56 talk groups already; they can always add additional but they believe this is a good starting point.
Emergency Management Committee – Matt Exley
- Currently working on an all hazard warning system. It is a solid document but there are many misconceptions that need addressed.
- Current state budget proposed in the house; 6.5% decrease in staffing funding that would impact the 24 hour watch and warning center, training and exercise division and the specialized technicians that assist the counties. In addition it would cut $4.7 M from disaster relief funding. Also, a possibility of a loss of $10 M cut that would directly affect 20 PEMA positions and 25 County positions that are partially funded by PEMA.
Emergency Medical Services – Bill Hagerty
- MCI plan is nearly complete; the plan has been reduced by half. There is one item up for debate regarding the initial fire response plan. We will discuss this at are meeting next week and come to a conclusion.
- Looking to have this completed and ready for review by our next PSAC meeting.
Fire Services Committee – Chief Joe Walko
Law Enforcement Committee – Chief Scott Heidt
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick
- Trying to set up Greater YMCA education during the summer for grades 1-4.
- Discussion about the kick off of 2-1-1 and educating the public about their services.
- Reminder that National Night Out will be August 1st this year.
Good of the Order: Special election to replace Rich Stebell as Vice Chairman for the remainder of 2017. Jim Carstater was nominated and accepted the position.
Adjourned: Meeting adjourned at 3:09 PM.