Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, January 3, 2018
The Public Safety’s Advisory Committee’s General Committee met on January 3, 2018 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 2:01 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Chair, James Rosenbaum.
Member’s in Attendance: Bill Hagerty, Charles Ramsey, Charlie Heffner, Kale Asp, Joe Walko, Guy Santone, John Kelly, James Rosenbaum, John Grappy, Jamie Neumaier, Rich Shopene, John Durlin, Cathy Hornick, Angela Vincent, Donald Dacus, Dale Robinson and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the General Committee meeting held on 11/08/17 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – John Grappy
- Discussion regarding the winter storm.
- EOC was activated the day after Christmas; PennDot and PA State Police were here.
- Team Rubicon was activated. They have completed over 300 requests at this time. However, there are still 642 on the list.
- Partnered with United Way 2-1-1 who has been a great help.
- CERT team will be going around the county to check what requests have already been taken care of, and who still needs assistance.
- West Ridge Fire is housing Team Rubicon.
- Public Safety fund budget was approved with no changes.
- Northern Tier received an Act 12 regional funding award of $5 million dollars. A direct cost savings to Erie County in the amount of $1.483 million.
- Some projects funded by this include: Regional CAD, TELCO costs, Telephony System, fiber costs and maintenance costs.
- Next Generation Radio System
- Early deployment of subscriber units is well underway for the 20 agencies with UHF.
- Members from Public Safety and MCM Consulting will be flying to Texas in February to conduct factory acceptance testing with EF Johnson.
- Once we have signed off on the testing, they will begin shipping the system.
- At this time, we are still on track to transition users to the new system in September.
- Consolidation of dispatch services for North East
- Received confirmation from the borough but still waiting for decision from the township.
- All 50 States have opted in to the First Net Public Safety Broadband Network. Estimated 4-5 years to rollout the system.
- 2018 Goals and Action Plan are complete. A copy will be attached, please contact us with any questions or concerns.
EMA Report – Dale Robinson
- 2018 training calendar has been completed. If anyone is interested in those classes please contact us.
- JH Consulting had a meeting with PEMA and FEMA regarding the changes they would like to see in the Hazard Mitigation Plan. Hoping to have a final draft of the plan by the 12th of this month.
- We will continue the Rail Safety Plan exercises in Millcreek and the city.
- Emergency Operations Plan is almost complete. Next step will be to get this on the Council’s agenda.
Communications Committee – Charlie Heffner
- Some of the mobile radios have been installed. There have been some minor glitches but it seems to be going okay.
- Team Rubicon has been a great help.
Emergency Medical Services Committee – Bill Hagerty
- Thanks to the County and the City for all of their help with the storm.
- MCI Plan is complete but we have not yet received any funding to pursue. We will continue to try and find funding.
Law & Legislative Committee – John Grappy
- There are two hearings coming up in Harrisburg to move forward with the Title 35 rewrite on 01/22/18 and 01/29/18.
Law Enforcement Committee – Detective Sargent Donald Dacus
- Here filling in for Chief Spizarny. His contact information is on the city’s website if needed. New command staff was just named today, not sure who will be filling in for the future.
Public Education – Cathy Hornick
- Received contact information for most of the schools in Erie. John Durlin to draft a letter to send to these schools regarding how to call 9-1-1.
- Discussion about active shooter training for the neighborhood watch.
Old Business: None.
New Business: None.
Good of the Order:
- Elections were held for Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary. Each seat had one nomination and a unanimous ballot was casted.
- Chair – James Rosenbaum
- Vice Chair – Jim Carstater
- Secretary – Charles Ramsey
- Subcommittee to be formed to deal with the recruitment and retention issues with emergency personnel.
- Discussion about constables being allowed on the new radio system. All law enforcement officials that were present agree that the system should remain the way it is.
Adjourned: Meeting was adjourned at 3:21PM.