Public Safety Advisory Committee’s
Executive Committee, December 16, 2015
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s Executive Committee met on December 16, 2015, in the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm by the Advisory Committee’s Vice Chair Rich Stebell.
Members In Attendance: Jeff Hawryliw, Dale Robinson, John R. Grappy, Todd Steele, Tony Pol, Jim Carstater, Kale Asp, Cathy Hornick, Sue Sutto, Richard Stebell, Michael Tesore, Nicole Fuller, Matt Gianquinto (EF Johnson), Bill Heald
Moment of Silence for Erie County Council Vice Chairman, Phil Fatica and Millcreek Police Captain, Randy Faipler.
No Agenda – Review Progress of Subcommittees.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the General Committee meeting were approved with no corrections. Motion to except minutes by Jeff Hawryliw and seconded by Tony Pol. All in favor.
Director of Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Guest attending meeting was Matt Gianquinto from EF Johnson.
Director of Public Safety – John R. Grappy
- 2016 Budget approved Tuesday, November 17th. EMA position was not approved by council.
- Four vacancies (Telecommunicators) – reviewing and hiring in January 2016.
- On December 18, Finance, HR and Public Safety will meet to talk about the 12 hour shift, alternate schedule for a better quality of life for the telecommunicators.
- Text-to-911 – All four (4) major wireless carriers have successfully been tested with processing and accepting text messages. This should be implemented by the end of the year.
- Law Dispatch Protocol System – Placed out for bid, will be awarded today. Will be implemented in 2016.
- CAD Virtualization – will be carried to 2016. Upgrading hardware and operating system.
- NGR System – On November 17th the Request for Proposal was released. The bid opening is on March 15, 2016.
- The five (5) potential vendors did mandatory site walks throughout Erie County (29 locations). (Motorola, Harris, Tait, EF Johnson and Cassidian-Airbus)
- Inter-Agency Agreements – Deadline was December 15, 2015. We need to have a notice of intent to opt-in if they need more time to pass an ordinance, review with solicitor or language needs addressed prior to signing agreement. A grace period may be granted for these purposes.
- AFG Grant Questionnaire – Sent out November 24th and need to be returned by January 8th, 2016. Fire Med Grant Solutions is writing the grant and will submit on behalf of Erie County.
- State Budget Impasse – Moratorium continues on expenditures, travel and hiring freeze. We are only paying operational expenditures and only essential purchasing is in place.
Public Safety, Emergency Management- Dale Robinson
- Crude Oil Unit Train Planning continues.
- Exploring grant opportunities to purchase booming trailers/supplies at key positions to help keep product out of lake.
- December 3rd Local Emergency Management Coordinator training meetings were discussing what we want in a new Title 35. The PSAC EMA Subcommittee was in attendance. They came up with some suggestions.
Law and Legislative Affairs Committee - Jim Carstater, Committee Chair.
- Please see attached document
Law Enforcement and Records Committee – Mike Tesore, Committee Chair
- Record Management will be implemented next year. Millcreek adopted into the NGR System.
Fire Services Committee – Chief Tony Pol, Committee Chair
- Continue to work on a training schedule for Fire Fighters. John mentioned that Randy Tripp is adding trainings to the new Public Safety Website Calendar.
Emergency Medical Services Committee – Todd Steele
- The initial Draft EMS Plan was approved. The Plan is ready to submit but they have a few questions for the PSAC before it is submitted to the state.
Motion for approval to send EMS Plan to the state made by Jeff Hawryliw and seconded by Bill Heald. Approved!
Emergency Management Services Committee – Bill Heald, Committee Chair
- Met with County EMA about Title 35. Discussed items and putting them together for a list to add or change for title 35.
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick and Sue Sutto, Committee Co-Chairs
- It was discussed at the last meeting that their goals were unattainable. They are redefining education of 911. Abuse of 911 was mentioned along with Public Service Announcements of the purpose and when to call 911. Also Cathy handed out informative information about ISIS.
Communications Committee – Jeff Hawryliw, Committee Chair
- The SOP’s and Radio manuals were handed out to the group for review. Planning first meeting for the 2nd or 3rd week of January.
Jim, Rich and Director Grappy will meet to discuss subcommittees.
Old Business: None
New Business: Nicole will meet with Director and the 2016 meeting dates will be selected and disseminated as well as posted on website.
Good of the Order: None
Adjournment: Motion to adjourn made by Jeff Hawryliw. All in favor, meeting adjourned at 2:15 p.m.
**Next Executive Committee Meeting will be held on Wednesday, January 13, 2016 at 1:00 PM at ECDOPS. **