Public Safety Advisory Committee’s
Executive Committee, April 13, 2016
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s Executive Committee met on April 13, 2016, in the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:00 pm by the Advisory Committee’s Chair Jim Rosenbaum.
Members In Attendance: Cathy Hornick, Jim Rosenbaum, Rich Stebell, Mike Tesore, Charlie Heffner, Abdul Osman, John R. Grappy, Jeff Hawryliw, Jim Carstater, Bill Hagerty, Tony Pol, Guy Santone, Kale Asp, Nicole Fuller, Matt Gianquinto (EF Johnson)
Agenda – Review of Subcommittees
Guy Santone – New Fire Chief, as of June 17th, 2016.
Approval of Minutes: The minutes from the March 9, 2016, Executive Committee meeting were approved with no corrections.
Director of Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director of Public Safety – John R. Grappy
- Elected Officials Briefing, May 25, 2016 from 6pm-9pm. All Municipal Officials are invited.
- Act 12-2015 (911 Legislation) – March 11th, John and Kale attended 911 advisory board meeting in Harrisburg, as representatives from Erie. Permanent funding formula – discussion.
- NGR System – Bid opening March 15, 2016. Motorola, Airbus DS, EF Johnson, Harris. On April 18th and 19th all 4 Vendor’s will do a presentation on their proposals.
- Hazmat Recertification – State will be here on April 20, 2016.
- Commodity Flow Study – RFP released for professional services.
- Rail Safety Plan – In progress… Conducting meetings with local municipalities / 1st responders.
- CAD Virtualization – Implementation June 3, 2016.
- Procurement of Law Dispatch Protocol System – Priority Dispatch is the selected Vendor. Implementation to follow immediately after CAD Virtualization Project.
- Law Record Management System – Version 3 to Version 12.8. Demo by Intergraph scheduled on May 4, 2016, with City of Erie Police in AM and County Law Enforcement Agencies in the PM.
Law and Legislative Affairs Committee - Jim Carstater, Committee Chair.
- Please see attached report.
- HB 1340 – Amendment to the current Right-to-Know Law (Open Records Act). Passed the house and is under consideration in the Senate. This bill will amend the original act that 911 caller information is not for public information. Supported by APCO and NENA, but the Media is pushing back on this believing that that information should become public. APCO, NENA and CCAP are sending out a notice to all members to write letters to support the legislation.
Law Enforcement and Records Committee – Mike Tesore, Committee Chair
- There are no updates at this time.
Fire Services Committee – Chief Tony Pol, Committee Chair
- There are no updates at this time.
Emergency Medical Services Committee – Bill Hagerty, Committee Chair
- Community Paramedics – This group helps citizens with the abuse of the 911 system, using emergency rooms as their primary care physician and to reduce hospital admissions. They get referrals from hospitals and agencies. They visit these patients and educate them with weekly visits for about a month. This program helps greatly within the community. Used throughout the country.
- The committee is starting to review the Erie County Mass Casualty Incident Plan. The committee started looking over the former Erie County Draft Plan, EMMCO-West Plan and the Emergycare MCI Plan. They will take sections from all current plans, and incorporate into one new plan. Should have the first draft for the group to review on Monday, April 25th.
- The EMS Sub-Committee was recognized by the Erie County Firefighters Association - EMS Award for 2016 for their work on the Erie County EMS Plan.
Emergency Management Services Committee – Bill Heald, Committee Chair
- No Report.
- Title 35 rewrite was mentioned. There is a lack of leadership and needs to be an enforcement mechanism involved. These will be brought up at the PEMA Conference in May.
- Bill Heald will retire in June 2016. John Grappy, Jim Rosenbaum and Dale Robinson will meet to discuss the new member after Bill’s retirement.
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick and Sue Sutto, Committee Co-Chairs
- Public Safety has a $2,500 budget. Wants to look into education in school districts.
- It was mentioned to see if CERT members would like to volunteer to serve as representatives at public education events.
- Cathy is no longer on the board for Neighborhood Watch Council, but remains an active member of Neighborhood Watch.
Communications Committee – Jeff Hawryliw, Committee Chair
- The Chair and Co-Chair met with John Grappy in March to define goals. Working on recruiting members for the group. Priorities for this committee are: NGR Project, County EMS Plan, I Am Responding and the review of Policies and Procedures for Erie County.
Old Business: None.
New Business: Chief Pol – Regarding all of the fires that took place in Erie on April 11, 2016, this incident went well and they plan on having an AAR (After Action Review). Working relationship with County and Erie FD has always been good.
Chief Pol announced his retirement, effective June 2016. It was a pleasure working with the Department of Public Safety, Public Advisory Committee and the Public Safety Community.
Good of the Order: Jeff Hawryliw mentioned working on a list of grant opportunities for different Erie County Departments to fund public safety programs, projects, etc. A new subcommittee was mentioned for consideration – discussion followed.
Adjournment: Motion to adjourn made by Jeff Hawryliw. Seconded by Cathy Hornick. All in favor, meeting adjourned at 2:30 p.m.
**Next General Committee Meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 2PM at