Public Safety Advisory Committee
Executive Committee, September 12th, 2018
The Public Safety’s Advisory Committee met on September 12, 2018 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:01 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Chair, Jim Rosenbaum.
Member’s in Attendance: Dale Robinson, Bill Hagerty, Chuck Kanarr, Charles Ramsey, Joe Walko, Scott Heidt, Brian Mesaros, Charlie Heffner, Jim Carstater, John Durlin, Kathy Fatica, Dan Spizarny, Jim Rosenbaum and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting held on 08/08/18 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – Dale Robinson
- EMA and 9-1-1 staff met with the County Executive last week to present our 2019 budget.
- Will be presented to council on 09/28/18.
- Regional Projects through Northern Tier are continuing.
- First Net
- Received a proposal from AT&T. Seems that coverage is relatively equal between AT&T and Verizon.
- Consolidation of dispatch services with East County.
- 6 additional telecommunicator positions have been approved through council.
- Next Gen Radio System
- 227 mobiles and 34 control stations have already been installed.
- Preparing to have microwave system installed soon.
- Thursday, October 11th at 6:00PM will be the next public meeting at Perry Hi-Way
- Recruitment and Retention subcommittee appointment letters will be sent by the County Executive soon.
EMA Report – Dale Robinson
- Latest forecast shows that Hurricane Florence is not going to affect us.
- Still planning for a full scale logistics exercise on the 27th at Edinboro University.
EMA Report – Brian Mesaros
- Wattsburg Borough is the only outstanding municipality for the Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- Moving on with the rail exercise in East County with a tentative date of October 23rd.
Communications Committee– Charlie Heffner
- Contractors were reminded that hanging things on the Tower in November and December will be challenging.
Emergency Medical Services Committee– Bill Hagerty
- MCI Kits and fanny packs were distributed to the EMS subcommittee members.
- Drafted a classroom power point presentation on triage and use of the kits.
- Our plan is to hold classes to any licensed EMS agencies after we have been certified by the State.
- Any licensed agencies that attend the class will be given a kit.
Fire Service Committee – Assistant Chief Joe Walko
Law Enforcement Committee – Chief Heidt and Chief Spizarny
Emergency Management Committee – Chuck Kanarr
- Matt Exley has made comments that he wants to get back to work on initiatives.
Law and Legislative Committee – Jim Carstater
- Had a meeting with the County Executive regarding the Recruitment and Retention committee and she was interested in getting more women and government officials on the committee.
- Discussion on what this committee can do for this issue.
- Meeting in Harrisburg on September 19th to go over all of the SR6 recommendations.
- Final vote will be sometime in November.
Old Business: None.
New Business: None.
Good of the Order: Kathy Fatica - CCAP Conference brought up issues regarding an hour plus wait for ambulances in rural areas. There was a discussion on this issue.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 1:42 PM.