Public Safety Advisory Committee
Executive Committee, October 12th, 2016
The Public Safety Advisory Committee’s Executive Committee met on October 12th, 2016, in Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 1:05 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Chair, James Rosenbaum.
Member’s In Attendance: James Rosenbaum, John Grappy, Kale Asp, Brenda Cannell, Bill Hagerty, John Kelly, Dale Robinson, Guy Santone, Michael Tesore, Rich Stebell and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the General Committee meeting on 09/14/16 were approved with no corrections.
Director of Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director of Public Safety – John Grappy
- Kick off meeting for the Next Gen Radio Project was held on 09/29/16. The plan is to move forward with the critical design review which will take several months.
- MCM has been reaching out through a survey to every agency to revise the list of requested subscriber units. Still currently waiting on two agencies.
- Once finalized the quantity will be matched up with the budget, and each agency will be informed of the quantity of subscriber units we plan to provide.
- Chief Mike Tesore asked if they have the ability to adjust their number of units that they originally requested. Director Grappy states that is possible, nothing is in stone as of yet.
- Moving forward with early deployment of Zetron Dispatch consoles, which will replace the current vendor (Catalyst). The plan is at the end of March 2017 we will be using the new console system. Consoles will be located at the ECDOPS building as well as our backup site (Emergycare). Equipment has already been ordered, and the procurement process has begun. After the holidays we will move forward with installation of equipment and training.
- The land property agreement has been drafted with the help of the County Solicitor, for the construction for up to eight tower sites. Director Grappy will be meeting with the land owners of the eight sites to secure said property. Plan is that construction will begin in early spring.
- Currently we are still on the timeline for implementation; system will be installed by the end of 2017. We will start transitioning users to the new system between January and March of 2018. Both MCM and E.F. Johnson feel very confident on those dates.
- Law Dispatch Protocol System certification training is still in process. The plan is to implement the new system on November 1st, 2016.
- James Rosenbaum suggested customizing the dispatch protocol system a little more with the fire departments, reducing the amount of incidents being dispatched as structure fires. It was discussed that it is a current work in progress, but dispatchers have been instructed to give additional information.
- Law Record Management; there are currently 3 different systems that are being used. City of Erie Police Department is using the County record management system, Millcreek Police Department is using New World and the rest of the county uses Metro or Visual Alert.
- Currently exploring through the Northern Tier 10 County Consortium – a regional dispatch system which would include records, field base recording and mobile.
- The IT department is looking into a process called P to V (physical to virtual). This process will move all of the records from physical hardware to virtual data.
- New pay plan for the Telecommunicator staff was included in the 2017 budget. John will meet with members of the county council to justify our budget. Hoping the new pay plan will help greatly reduce the turnover rate. Also looking at other scheduling options to provide a better quality of life for the Telecommunicators.
- Requesting that Chairman Rosenbaum attend the County Council Meeting on Wednesday, November 2nd at 4:00PM to show his support for this plan.
Public Safety, Emergency Management – Dale Robinson
- Beginning the strategic planning with CERT team.
- Assisted with Corry water system outage. Corry handled problem very well, they were happy with the help they received from the county. We reached out to Wegmans who donated 4 pallets of water. Also, Cummins Diesel provided them with a trailer of water. Salvation Army and the fire department did a wonderful job taking care of the distribution of the water.
- Communication was a small issue to the public with clarification on what can be done with the water. Trying to make sure that the Health Department has that information to forward in the future.
- Hazard Mitigation Plan meeting scheduled on October 27th, 2016. This is a federally required plan if you want to be eligible for federal disaster mitigation funds.
- We need someone from each municipality to attend, and have at least one project from their community.
- There will be two meetings on that day, one during the day and one at night.
- Rail Safety Plan is still in draft; final draft by end of 2016.
- The county has approved 5 new spill response trailers through DEP Grant
- Looking into having the tornado sirens used as “all hazard warning” sirens.
- Chairmen Rosenbaum mentioned that these sirens should be used exceedingly sparingly if this goes into effect due to warning system.
Public Safety, Emergency Management – John Kelly
- Application has been submitted for Storm Ready. The next steps will be to set up dates to visit the National Weather Service in Cleveland, Ohio.
- We are listed on FEMA’s website as preliminarily enrolled in IPAWS system; integration with all alert warning systems.
- We are now designated as a Weather Ready Ambassador through NOAA. Basically this means that we will work with the national weather service to educate and inform the public and local meteorologist on weather.
Director of Public Safety – John Grappy
- Currently upgrading the emergency notification system. Once IPAWS and Storm Ready are complete we will promote this to the public.
- This system uses the 911 database; however the issue is that landlines are going away. We will be promoting the Self Registration Portal, which is dependent on the general public to provide their additional contact information such as cell phones, IP phones, email, etc.
Fire Services Committee – Chief Guy Santone
- In process of making county wide requirements to have certifications for command and line officers.
Emergency Medical Services – Bill Hagerty
- Received last section of the MCI plan, provided feedback to make revisions to the 3rd and last section of the MCI draft plan. Upon receipt of revised plan, committee meeting will be scheduled for review and make recommendation to the public safety advisory committee.
- There are 5 members of the executive committee whose terms will be expiring at the end of this year.
- Cathy Hornick, Sue Sutto, Brenda Cannell, Matt Exley, Mike Tesore.
- Please submit recommendation for appointment to the Director of Public Safety.
New Business: None
Good of the Order: None
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 2:06 p.m.
**Next “General Committee” meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 9th, 2016 at 2:00 PM at the Erie County Department of Public Safety, 2880 Flower Road, Erie, PA 16509.**