Public Safety Advisory Committee
General Committee, July 11th, 2018
The Public Safety’s Advisory Committee met on July 11th, 2018 at the Erie County Department of Public Safety (ECDOPS) building at 2880 Flower Road. The meeting was called to order at 2:04 PM by the Advisory Committee’s Vice Chair, Jim Carstater
Member’s in Attendance: Chuck Kanarr, Brian Mesaros, Jim Carstater, John Grappy, Joe Walko, Kale Asp, Charlie Heffner, Dale Robinson, Jamie Neumaier, Bill Hagerty, Sparky Warner, Cathy Hornick, Jessica Huran-Kunco, Angela Vincent, Rich Shopene, John Yatsko, John Durlin and Keerinique Valencic.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from the Executive Committee meeting held on 06/06/18 were approved with no corrections.
Public Safety and Subcommittee Reports:
Director’s Report – John Grappy
- Act 12-2015
- Erie County continues to save substantial funds with Northern Tier Consortium & 15% State Interconnectivity Funding.
- State Contract for aerial photography (ortho-imagery) across Commonwealth
- 2018: Flyover (Entire Commonwealth)
- 2019 Flyover (Eastern Region)
- 2020: Flyover (Central Region)
- 2021: Flyover (Western Region)
- Commonwealth in process of reviewing and revising training and quality assurance programs.
- Regional Projects
- Enhanced Text to 9-1-1 service went live yesterday.
- Hardware refresh for the 9-1-1 telephony system, scheduled for October 2018.
- Regional CAD is in the implementation process.
- Signed the contract for the new law records management system.
- Next Gen Radio System
- Tower construction continues; 6 of 8 towers have been constructed.
- Microwave system’s final design has been approved; equipment being delivered to staging area.
- System infrastructure to be installed; final acceptance testing and begin transition of users to the new radio system by the end of the year.
- East County Consolidation
- We continue to meet with all emergency services agencies; scheduling meetings with Lawrence Park VFD and Penn State Behrend.
- Intergovernmental agreements have been signed by all 5 municipalities; anticipate county council approval on July 24th.
- Staffing analysis study was conducted and report finalized; recommendations include an additional 6 telecommunicators for East County Consolidation.
- EMS Response Plan
- Concerns expressed regarding dispatching agencies that are out of service.
- Plan is to be finalized and send to the DOH for approval.
- Upon approval, regional in-service training across Erie County prior to “go live”
- Recruitment and Retention Committee
- Trying to reach out to more municipalities to have better representation.
- Jessica Horan-Kunco from the Erie COG has contacted different municipalities.
- Joe Peck from Harborcreek, Jack Lee from Summit and James Bock from Millcreek have agreed to serve on this committee
- Some individuals still pending from Edinboro, Fairview and Corry.
- Looking for 12-15 individuals for the committee. These individuals will be appointed officially by the County Executive.
- First Net
- Setting up a conference call with AT&T for a follow up to our last meeting.
- Coverage testing completed, and coverage is comparable to other commercial carriers.
EMA Report – Dale Robinson
- The county has a new Emergency Operations Plan that was adopted.
- Final revisions to the logistics annex.
- We will now be doing a THIRA (Threats Hazard Identification Risk Analysis) to look at threats and vulnerabilities.
- We were invited to an L-411 Class - Mass Care and Emergency Assistance Support for Field Operations; Dale, Brian and Dan to attend.
- Dan Loewenheim is updating the county planning section positions.
- We received two message boards from the task force.
Communications Committee – Charlie Heffner
- There is a huge amount of work going on behind the scenes for this radio project.
- Everything still needs to be tested and tied together, but towers are coming along.
Emergency Medical Services Committee - Bill Hagerty
- EMS Response Plan
- According to Act 37, when a department reports out of service, they are out of service.
- Liability question regarding dispatching a department that has reported out of service.
- The plan was approved by EMS subcommittee, revisions are being made and will be submitted to EMMCO-West / DOH for approval.
- MCI Plan
- Implementation delayed due to funding of “go kits.”
- Bill Hagerty attended a recent meeting with the Hospital Association; approved $10,160.00 in funding for MCI plan.
- EmergyCare is the fiduciary for purchasing and preparing the “go kits” for all county EMS agencies.
- EmergyCare has ordered all the equipment and requested pricing for printing pocket books.
- State approved a Medicaid increase (50%) for EMS agencies, effective 01/01/2019.
Law Enforcement Committee– Chief Rich Shopene
Public Education Committee – Cathy Hornick
- National Night Out is August 7th.
- At a community meeting they brought up that there are too many questions when people call 9-1-1 and wanted to know why? Concerns expressed regarding callers are more likely to hang up then answer the questions. We need to continue to educate the public on calling 9-1-1.
Law and Legislation Committee – Jim Carstater
- SR6 Commission next meeting 08/07/18.
- Title 35 Legislation pending - discussion.
- FASP meeting and Safer grant - discussion.
Old Business: At what age can someone be a fire fighter? 14 (Junior Firefighter)
New Business: Consider developing a “YouTube” video explaining the questions asked in a 9-1-1 call?
Good of the Order: None.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 3:29PM.