Where to Recycle Electronics in Erie County
Electronics were banned from disposal in landfills due to state legislation Act 108 called the Covered Device Recycling Act of Pennsylvania. This act requires manufacturing companies to offer recycling programs for electronics. Unfortunately, this has not only created a difficulty for many residents to find electronics recycling programs, but has made recycling electronics very expensive.
Erie County Residents do have some options for recycling electronic items; some programs are open to all Erie County residents, some are only open to a residents of a specific municipality. Most programs will require a fee for service.
Electronics Recycling for all Erie County Residents:
- Staples, located on Peach Street, will accept some electronic items, specifically those connected with computers. These items will be accepted for free by Staples, limited to seven (7) items per person. For more information, see Staples Recycling page or call Staples at 814-868-4901. Staples does not accept Televisions.
- Erie County Recycling Program Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics collection events are held on the 2nd Saturday of each month from February through December. There are small fees for items to be recycled. For more information, check out our website. Pre-Registration is required, call 866-815-0016 to make an appointment for the County Sponsored Collections event.
- Goodwill has partnered with Dell to provide free drop-off recycling of any brand of used computer equipment, in any condition. They accept drop-offs at either their Summit Towne Center location on W 26th Street, or their Harborcreek Township location on Nagle Road.
- Best Buy still accepts some small electronic items, though all Pennsylvania Best Buy stores no longer accept Computer Monitors and Televisions. The Best Buy on Peach Street still accepts cell phones, printers, ink and toner cartridges and more. For specific details check out the Best Buy Electronics & Appliances Recycling page or call Best Buy at 814-860-8487. Some items are accepted for free, others may require the purchase of a new item or a small fee.
- Lincoln Recycling, located on Selinger Avenue in Erie, PA, accepts some electronics, including computer monitors and televisions for a fee. Please call 814-838-7628 for more details.
- ProWaste, located on E 18th Street and Buffalo Rd in Erie, PA accepts Televisions and Computers for a fee. Please call 814-835-2739 for more details.
- Penelec, through their Energy Efficiency Rebate program, will take working refrigerators and freezers when you purchase a new one. For more information, check out their program.
- ECS&R, is an electronics and hazardous waste recycling company based at 3237 US Highway 19, Cochranton, PA and accept drop-offs of materials for a fee. They are also currently operating on Mondays and Tuesdays at the Erie County Recycling Center at 1624 Filmore Avenue. You must make an appointment and for more information, check out their flyer, or call them at 866-815-0016. Fees apply.
Municipal Electronics Recycling Programs
- Residents who have curbside recycling through Waste Management in the following townships & boroughs have access to a curbside collection program for electronics and household hazardous waste called At Your Door. Those who use the Pay-As-You-Throw program through Waste Management for trash may be eligible in certain municipalities. Please contact your township or borough recycling coordinator to verify your eligibility or call the At Your Door program at 1-800-449-7587 to schedule a pick-up.
- Fairview Township
- Girard Borough
- Girard Township
- Harborcreek Township
- Lawrence Park Township
- Platea Borough
- Millcreek Township residents who have curbside recycling through Advanced Disposal are eligible for a curbside program to dispose of electronics and household hazardous waste at no additional cost. Those who use the Pay-As-You-Throw program through Advanced Disposal for trash may be eligible, but will be charged an additional fee. To schedule an appointment, call Advanced Disposal at 1-844-415-5970.
- The Borough of North East collects Electronic materials the same day normal recycling is collected. Separate your E-Cycling materials from your normal recycling and place them in two separate piles. The same truck will collect both your normal recycling and your E-Cycling. Here is a list of Acceptable Materials.
Please contact your municipality to learn more about electronics collection events in your area.