What are Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs)?
Cyanobacteria (also known as blue-green algae) are microscopic organisms found naturally in surface water that can sometimes multiply to form harmful algal blooms (HABs).
Harmful algal blooms can:
- Produce extremely dangerous toxins that can illness or irritation, sometimes even death, in pets, livestock and humans
- Create dead zones in the water
- Pose treatment challenges for public drinking water systems
- Hurt industries that depend on clean water
Harmful algal blooms need:
- Slow-moving water
- Nutrients (nitrogen and phosphorus)
To learn more, click on Be Aware of Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs), published by the Pennsylvania Sea Grant.