- Residents of Erie County
- Local Municipal Government Officials
- Local Planning Commissions and Authorities
- Federal and State elected officials and their staffs
- Federal and State funding agencies
- County Executive and County Council
- Erie County Planning Commission
- Other County Departments
- Non-Profit Organizations
- Educational Institutions
- Developers, consultants and contractors
Responsibilities and Services
Regional / Comprehensive Planning
- Coordinate with Erie County municipalities, the Erie County Planning Commission, area organizations and stakeholders, and the public to develop, maintain and implement the Erie County Comprehensive Plan; and assist the County's thirty-eight municipalities in their comprehensive planning and land use regulatory efforts.
- Perform reviews and prepare recommendations pertaining to local planning and zoning, including changes in local zoning maps, amendments of zoning and subdivision ordinances, and adoption of new municipal comprehensive plans.
- Develop and maintain Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for mapping and analysis to support Comprehensive Plan elements, and various local and regional planning initiatives.
- Provide GIS data, mapping products and technical support to other County departments, Erie County municipalities and the public.
- Administer and manage planning and construction projects in conjunction with various Federal and State grant programs.
- Prepare grant applications on behalf of the County of Erie and local municipalities.
- Provide technical assistance for County-sponsored projects.
- Administer the Erie County Subdivision and Land Development Ordinance, and perform reviews and prepare recommendations for all subdivision and land development proposals located in Erie County.
- Perform mandated compliance/consistency reviews for all Subdivision/Land Development Plans; Act 247 Municipal Ordinance/Comprehensive Plans; Act 537 Municipal Sewage Facilities Plans and Modules; Acts 14/67/68/127 Permit/Land Use Notifications; and Executive Order 12372 Federal Grant Projects.
- Perform compliance / consistency reviews for all applicable grant proposals submitted by municipalities, organizations and agencies within Erie County to various Federal and state grant programs.
- Coordinate and administer the County’s Agricultural Land Preservation Program.
- Coordinate and administer the County’s Coastal Zone Management Program.
- Coordinate and administer the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) programs of Erie County, Borough of Edinboro, Girard Township, McKean Township, North East Borough and Millcreek Township.
- Coordinate and administer affordable housing initiatives through the HUD, DCED and Erie County (Act 137) Affordable Housing Fund programs.
- Coordinate and administer the Erie County Recycling Program, and maintain and implement the Erie County Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan.
- Coordinate and administer the Erie MPO Metropolitan Transportation Planning process and implement Erie County Transportation Plan initiatives.
- Coordinate and administer the NBIS Local Bridge Inspection Program.
- Coordinate and administer the Erie County At-Risk Bridge Program.
- Coordinate and administer the Great Lakes Seaway Trail National Scenic Byway Program.
- Coordinate and administer the Erie County Greenways Program.
Trends in Use of Services
- Continued interest from local municipalities requesting the Planning Department’s assistance in preparing comprehensive plans and land use control ordinances.
- Increasing demand for county GIS information and specialized mapping products.
- Increasing demand for technical assistance in locating and preparing grant requests for non-county administered grant programs.
- Increased collaboration with area agencies and organizations to address and implement community development initiatives.