Community College Proposal
Erie County is acting as the local sponsor for a community college proposal now under consideration by the Pennsylvania Board of Education. The board is evaluating the county’s application for a community college and consulting closely with the Governor’s Office and the Pennsylvania Department of Education. The path to potential approval is expected to last a year or longer.
This page will be updated as the application progresses. Below is a timeline of action taken on the proposal, as well as copies of all documents that were submitted to the state with the application.
- December 21, 2018: Erie County submitted updates to the Erie County Community College Plan, at the request of the Pennsylvania Department of Education
- February 16, 2018: Erie County submitted its responses to the supplemental questions posed by the State Board of Education’s Special Committee on the Erie County Community College Plan.
- September 13, 2017: The State Board of Education’s Special Committee on the Erie County Community College Plan held its first public meeting and requested information from the Governor’s Office about community colleges, as required by Section 1902-A of the Public School Code. In addition, the Special Committee announced that a public hearing on the plan will be held in Erie on October 10 at 6 p.m. in Hirt Auditorium at Blasco Library, 160 E. Front St.
- July 12, 2017: The Pennsylvania Board of Education approved a resolution establishing a special committee to gather information on Erie County’s community college proposal. The committee is expected to meet for the first time in September.
- July 3, 2017: The Erie County community college plan and accompanying documents were delivered to the Pennsylvania Board of Education in Harrisburg, to be placed on the Board’s agenda for the July 12 meeting.
- June 30, 2017: The Office of the County Executive gathered necessary documentation for the Erie County community college application and sent the application to the Pennsylvania Board of Education, the first step in a lengthy process required for state approval.
- June 27, 2017: Erie County Council voted 4-2, with one abstention, for Erie County to act as a local sponsor to the proposed community college.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Documents included with the proposal are listed below.