The Health Department responds 24 hours a days, weekends and holidays, to potential threats to public health.
Download a brochure about ECDH.
**CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR A SHINGLES VACCINE.
When We Can Help
Call the Health Department immediately if you become ill with cramps and diarrhea within a few hours of eating, especially if friends or family who ate at the same restaurant or family function become ill, too.
Other circumstances that should be reported immediately include:
- Animal bites
- Water pollution
- Municipal sewage overflow
- Large hazardous materials spills (i.e. leaking oil drum or gasoline tank).
Anyone having a reaction to immunizations or drug treatments received at the Health Department should call us without delay.
To reach the Health Department any time day or night, call 451-6700.
During off hours, an operator will take your call. If it is an emergency, a Health Department professional will call you back.
The mission of the Department of Health is-
To preserve, promote and protect the health, safety and well-being of the people and the environment of Erie County.
- • Acting as the guardian and as an advocate in all matters relating to the public’s health;
- • Promoting healthy lifestyles;
- • Reducing preventable illness and controlling the spread of communicable diseases;
- • Identifying and eliminating health and safety hazards;
- • Protecting and promoting the quality of the environment.
ECDH operates under the authority of Public Law 1304, Local Administration Law Act 315, originally enacted August 24, 1951.